I'm good at talking. I've been a talker since I was a tot. Unfortunately, talking is not always needed and my thoughts and expressions are constantly running through my mind. Laura's Loose Thoughts is my place to put these thoughts. I can't guarantee you'll gain anything from reading this blog but you might find a neat photo or read a fun story about my ridiculous friends. Most days I couldn't even tell you exactly who I am. I do know that I'm: a nerd, free spirited, honest, a wanderer, unselfish, committed, impatient, brave, outgoing, charitable and eager to learn more about myself and this beautiful life I live!

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

A Sunday for Forgetting

My beloved Huskers lost on Saturday 36-30 to the UCLA Bruins.  If you know anything about me you know that one of my biggest passions is Nebraska football.  Each fall I plan my entire weekend around the football schedule, I live in my best scarlet and cream and on my favorite tailgate foods and my mood on Sunday is dependant on Nebraska's Saturday performance.  That has caused me around 3-4 miserable Sundays each season the last ten years.

Not this week.  I refused to read articles from the Omaha World Herald about how Taylor Martinez went downhill after the first half or opinions of why the Blackshirts allowed 653 yards.  I watched the game and I didn't need to ruin my Sunday reminiscing the loss.  Instead, I was determined to keep busy doing "I" things from the moment I woke up until the moment I fell asleep.

I started my Sunday at a morning service at Harvest Bible Church.  The music and message always leaves me with a positive outlook and this week didn't disappoint.  Pastor Willey is like a living, breathing Spark Notes for the Bible and I love that he uses real life situations in his messages.  This week he used references to Twitter, Aaron Rodgers and Brett Favre.  Does it get easier to stay tuned in?!

After church I headed to Books A Million and purchased my newest read, The Voluntourist by Ken Budd, "a six-country tale of love, loss, fatherhood, fate, and singing Bon Jovi in Bethlehem".  I'm really into autobiographies right now and this mix of travel and volunteerism was screaming at me from the book shelf.

It's my favorite time of the year!  It was a dress, leggings and boots kind of day on Sunday.

From the bookstore I headed downtown to check out the Beaux Arts Fair.  I parked near the river so that I could capture a few shots of the river on this perfect, sunny Sunday.  The fair had over 50 vendors and there were artists from all over the Midwest showcasing their talents.  I purchased a necklace for my mom and a Nebraska photograph for my dad, a little ironic considering I was bound and determined to keep from giving the Huskers a moment of my day. As Pastor Willey would say, #fail.



Love was in the air along the Davenport riverfront.


The next adventure of the day was a trip to Maquoketa Caves State Park.  I grabbed Rusty and drove to the caves for a hike and attempt to take to some more photos.  The hike was great.  The photos were not.  It's not easy taking photos when you've got a dog that attempts to yank your arm off every time he catches a whiff of anything. 


I finished the evening catching up on my Fantasy Football team and watching a few episodes of Breaking Bad. 

The day was great.  I successfully stayed away from any article about the Huskers loss and spent time doing things I enjoy.  Let's hope the Huskers go undefeated the rest of the year so I don't have to worry about keeping myself busy from sunrise to sunset any other Sundays. Wishful thinking on my part.

I'm just considering myself lucky that we don't play Iowa State anymore because I'd hate to suffer the day after a loss to the Cyclones.  Now that would just be embarrassing. 

(Ethan, in the far fetched chance that you read my blogs I think you're awesome and I hope your team continues on the win streak!  Also, you probably don't get my sarcasm, yet.)


1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a perfect day. Scratch that: A perfect day follows a win on Saturday. But the rest of it sounds good.

    ReplyDelete