I'm good at talking. I've been a talker since I was a tot. Unfortunately, talking is not always needed and my thoughts and expressions are constantly running through my mind. Laura's Loose Thoughts is my place to put these thoughts. I can't guarantee you'll gain anything from reading this blog but you might find a neat photo or read a fun story about my ridiculous friends. Most days I couldn't even tell you exactly who I am. I do know that I'm: a nerd, free spirited, honest, a wanderer, unselfish, committed, impatient, brave, outgoing, charitable and eager to learn more about myself and this beautiful life I live!

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

I've Always Wanted...

How many times have you caught yourself saying, "I've always wanted to [insert something unbelievably cool]"?  For me it's been said countless times.  I've always wanted to backpack across Europe.  I've always wanted to sky dive.  I've always wanted to do RAGBRAI.  I've always wanted to make my own sushi.  I've always wanted to get a tattoo (although I can't decide what I'd want on my body for the rest of my life).  I've always wanted to camp while hiking the Tetons.  I've always wanted to join the PeaceCorp.  I've always wanted to run a marathon-again.  I've always wanted to learn to play guitar.

Last week was long, interesting and hard because death kept coming up in various ways.  I'm not one to speak about my emotions when it comes to death.  It scares me beyond belief and I hate seeing what loved ones go through when dealing with it, but I also think that the circle of life is an amazing concept.  We cry when we lose a loved one and we rejoice when a loved one is born.  It's the way this beautiful thing we call life works.  Last week as death kept presenting itself  I found myself thinking about my own life.  If my life were to be taken tomorrow would I have regrets?  Have I lived life to the fullest and done all that I have always wanted to? 

The answer was no.  Too many times I find myself living for tomorrow rather than today. 

Last week I bought an acoustic guitar.  It was my first step towards living for today.  I've been searching the net and YouTube for ways to learn to play.  It's been a lot of fun and although I'm really busy I try to put aside 30 minutes a day to learn.  I never said I've always wanted to be the next John Mayer but I'm working on one of my "I've always wanted to's".  Tomorrow isn't guaranteed and last week I was reminded of that over and over. When it's my time I don't want to have too many "I've always wanted to's" to be left undone.  I need to start living for today rather than tomorrow.

What have you always wanted to do, learn or experience?

No comments:

Post a Comment