I'm good at talking. I've been a talker since I was a tot. Unfortunately, talking is not always needed and my thoughts and expressions are constantly running through my mind. Laura's Loose Thoughts is my place to put these thoughts. I can't guarantee you'll gain anything from reading this blog but you might find a neat photo or read a fun story about my ridiculous friends. Most days I couldn't even tell you exactly who I am. I do know that I'm: a nerd, free spirited, honest, a wanderer, unselfish, committed, impatient, brave, outgoing, charitable and eager to learn more about myself and this beautiful life I live!

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

A Disconnected Desire

Today I dream about a deserted get-away.  I dream not of beaches and cocktails or exploring new cities with my girlfriends.  Rather, I dream of a vacation that includes a star lit sky, a guitar and miles and miles of flowers and open space lying before a mountain and skyline.  No where in that skyline are cell phone towers or coffee shops with "Free Wi-Fi" signs.

I really love that at the touch of 10 buttons I can reach my mother and father or chat with my friends about their failed spanish-speaking auditions or first days as a mother.  I love that I can work for a company headquartered in New Orleans and put on the largest youth triathlon series in the country thousands of miles from that headquarters.  I love that technology has brought the world together in ways that were once just a dreamer's idea and that we can book a ticket from Des Moines, Iowa to Beijing, China with the click of a button.

I also love when my phone dies.  I love when I'm disconnected from family, friends, co-workers and the world even if it's just for a couple hours.  When my phone is not buzzing every other minute I am free to dream and reflect on all that is good in my life.  And my life is very, very good.

Today my happiness will include a dead cell phone and a cup of green tea.  I will continue to dream of a deserted get-away but for today two hours without having to hear "Hard to Love" by Lee Brice or "ding-ding" notifying me of a text message or email will be my grateful moment.

Until the crazy connected days that are triathlon season are over, I will dream of wide open spaces.  Until then, I will continue to love my daily life that is connecting with the parents of young triathletes, teaming with my best friend to produce youth events that could rival most adult races in the midwest and answering those "Hard to Love" telephone calls.

No comments:

Post a Comment